Lactation Consultant Service
Our Lactation Consultant service is a private service offering home visits to help and support with a range of feeding issues including- latching difficulties, sore nipples, mastitis, thrush, concerns about milk supply and weight gain.
Further information on the role of a lactation consultant can be found in our FAQ section.
Tongue Tie Assessment and Division Service
The My Midwife & Me Tongue-Tie and Lactation Consultant service is available across Cheshire and Merseyside. We are able to offer a personalised and professional service that can take place in our clinics across Cheshire and Merseyside, or we can offer this service within the privacy of your own home. Our service is personalised to meet the needs of you and your baby and is dedicated to ensuring that we leave you confident and competent in feeding your baby.
Booking an appointment and what to expect
You can book an appointment in a number of different ways:
- Call 0333 577 3557
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Or submit an enquiry form below
What to Expect:
Appointments are available over 7 days a week. We will aim to see you within 48 hours of you contacting us. You should avoid feeding baby for an hour before the appointment time so that baby will be interested in feeding during the consultation. If the procedure is taking place at home you will need a flat clean surface, such as a ki tchen table, changing mat and a blanket for swaddling. A detailed medical history for both mother and baby will be taken and a birth history and feeding history. These details can be obtained whilst baby is being observed feeding. Tongue function will be a ssessed and then detailed information will be provided to ensure that you are involved in all decision making with regards to next steps. Next steps may involve the need for a tongue – tie division , but techniques and strategies will be shared to either work alongside the tongue – tie division or that may be more appropriate to adopt. These include – positioning and attachment, boosting milk supply, suck training, mother’s nutritional advice and support. If tongue – tie division is required a discussion of potenti al outcomes and risks of the procedure will be given (these can also be found in the FAQ section) A consent form will need to be signed prior to the procedure. Please note , there is no obligation to proceed with the procedure and parents are able to spend time undertaking more research or adopting the techniques that have been shared earlier.
Please Note: The baby’s head will need to be held firm during the procedure and the Tongue-Tie Practitioner will request the support of a parent in doing this.
- Using an index finger, the tongue is lifted to enable visualisation of the frenulum (tongue-tie).
- The frenulum is then snipped using a pair of single use, sterile, curved, blunt tipped scissors.
- Once the frenulum has been fully divided to form a diamond shaped wound a piece of gauze is placed under baby’s tongue and baby is then passed back to mum to feed.
- Babies usually latch on very quickly and bleeding is usually very light and stops quickly once baby is feeding. Most babies tolerate the procedure well with just a short cry before they feed.
- Baby will then be observed feeding and support will be provided with this.
- Techniques for simple, gentle tongue exercises will be given which you can do with your baby.
- What to expect with regards to healing and recovery.
- A feeding plan will be agreed with you to manage any ongoing feeding issues and get feeding back on track.
- The practitioner will stay with you until any bleeding has settled.
- You will receive post appointment information and will be offered a follow up phone call and appointment (if required) free of charge.
To secure your appointment we will require a deposit of £50 (which is non-refundable). The deposit will need to be made at the time of booking your appointment.
Lactation Consultation with Tongue Tie Division Visit:
Lactation Consultation Only Visit:
- £150 – up to an hour
- £75 for a follow up consultation
If Tongue Tie division is booked following on from a lactation consultation:
NB: Travel costs may be applied if this visit is in addition to the above visits. This will be discussed at time of booking.